Determining Water Leaks
Here are a few things to check:
Turn off all water faucets. Locate meter in basement or meter pit. Check if Low Flow Indicator is turning. If Low Flow Indicator is moving, water is going through the meter and you may have a water leak.
The most common fixture to leak is the toilet:
- To check, add several drops of food coloring to the tank.
- Do not disturb tank for 30 to 60 minutes.
- If it’s leaking the coloring will appear in the bowl.
- Repeat 3 times if negative to confirm results.
- This means the flush valve (flapper) is leaking.
Be sure that the water level in the toilet tank is below the top of the overflow pipe. This can be adjusted if necessary.
Check dishwashers, clothes washers and water heaters. Dripping faucets, no matter how slow, can increase a water bill.